Sunday, June 24, 2012

Food

Bacon!  Who likes it? Who loves it?
In my entourage, I would confidently say, just about EVERYBODY!!

Here's the thing... Bacon, as we know it, from our local grocery store is delicious.  There's something about the taste of all those nitrates, etc... that we just can't get enough of.  Fortunately, there IS an alternative and after a handful of failed attempts with "the good stuff", my husband & I have figured out a way to take Yonder Way Farm's natural, healthy uncured bacon and make it BETTER than the traditional store bought bacon.

YWF Bacon

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Yonder Way Farm bacon (sliced)
- broiler pan
- coarse sea salt
- plate
- paper towels
- aprroximately 5 minutes to prepare & 15 minutes to cook

(1) Preheat oven to 475°F.
(2) Place bacon strips on brolier pan
(3) Add salt graciously over bacon'
(4) Put in oven for about 12 minutes, then turn bacon over for about 3-5 more minutes (or until desired crispiness)
(5) Remove from oven onto paper toweled covered plate.
(6) Add salt, as desired.

Voìla! The BEST bacon ever.  (Try it, you won't regret it)


It's funny, in the last 20 days, I have learned so much about FOOD and what it's truly meant to do for our bodies.  Proper nourishement.  Not calories in VS calories out.  FOOD, the right foods, are OUR batteries.  Comparable to the premium Gasoline for my Town&Country Chrysler minivan.  It is what makes us run efficiently and do anything to the best of our abilities. 

That said, the "wrong" foods will do the complete OPPOSITE. 

I have experienced both of these outcomes in the last 20 days.  Although, I was not supposed to have cheated during the 24-day challenge at CFC. I did.  I'm not proud of it, BUT it taught me something valuable. 

On Father's Day, my husband and I took the kids to a cupcake store called Sprinkles.  It's world renown.  And I, for one, had never eaten a Sprinkles cupcake before.  Normally, the idea of eating anything "cake" would not have even had me drooling, but when I saw that they offered carrot cake cupcake.. well, that changed things, A LOT.  Sooo, I cheated.... (and not only with my cupcake, but I, unfortunately, became my kids vacuum cleaner).
... I felt GROSS.  Not only that, but my mood changed.  I became irritable, sleepy and no longer a fun person to be around.  I know, I know.. that sounds a little extreme, maybe even unbelievable, but it's TRUE.  I had been eating so "clean"; only giving my body the fuel it needed up until that moment, that it went into total overdrive and overwhelmement trying to fix my body of the junk I had just fed it with. 

Consequently, am I saying that I will never eat anything that's deemed bad or WRONG? NO.  That's unrealistic.  Eat smart when you can, and eat carelessly with caution.  Know what makes you feel strong & healthy, what FUELS you AND be aware of what creates a more sluggish & less wholesome you... AND THEN, eat that "not-so-good treat" in moderation.  Also, try to find healthy substitutions for the *crappy* foods in your life.  For example, I LOVE chocolate and ice cream!  Over time, I have switched from milk chocolate to 85% dark chocolate.  I even bake with it, now AND my kids haven't said a word.  They love it, too!  Along with that, instead of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, I eat SO! DELICIOUS coconut frozen treats (dairy free).  It may not be the same, but it's a great alternative!!

Mmmmm....  All this talk of food, has made me hungry..  grumble!  (that's my stomach making noises)...

Before I go, I want to share with you a few pictures of our day yesterday.  It definitely accentuates what I'm talking about when I speak of health and nutrition being a TOP PRIORITY in my life.

First things first, our day wouldn't be complete without a trip to CFC for the free Saturday WOD.  



(Ohhh... totally off subject, but eminent in my life...  DID I MENTION THAT I PASSED MY CF-L1!!!!! - I AM OFFICIALLY A CROSSFIT L1 TRAINER.  And I couldn't be more proud to yell out at the top of my lungs, as loud as can be, that...
I, Denise Pomaski, am a CF-L1 trainer for CROSSFIT CHAMPIONS)

Next, we packed up a picnic basket and headed for a day trip to Yonder Way Farm in Fayetteville, TX.  We were looking forward to an afternoon with our local farmer & his family (Jason & Lynsey Kramer and their 4 gorgeous daughters).






One last thing...  Wednesday is the last day to our 24-day Challenge at the box... Our 'finale' WOD is set for this upcoming Friday... Keep an eye out for my "RESULTS" blog!  What's cooler is that you can get a sneak peek of what results can look like.. CHECK OUT one of CFC's own ROCKSTAR trainers, Shannan Roberts, and her story/results from the 24-day challenge!!
Go to http://shannanr.blogspot.com/2012_06_01_archive.html 

Talk to you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment