Thursday, July 5, 2012

Independence Day

I'm Canadian.  Born and raised.  I met my husband the Summer of 2000 in New Jersey.  The United States has pretty much been in my life since.

Every 4th of July, I have mixed feelings on what I am celebrating... Don't get the wrong idea. Not skeptical of it's worth, but of my place.
This is ME representing "red, white and blue"

 July 4th, 2012 started off with a personal training session at 7am at CFC.  I decided that the number 4 would be written all over the WOD, so I made it a long one.  Mark whooped it's butt with his son on the sidelines, watching anxiously.  The perfect beginning to this year's Independence Day.  (Representing A New Beginning for me).

But, that wasn't the last of CrossFit Champions for the day.  We, all the CFC trainers & athletes, had a date with WOD 1776 "Independence Day" on this 4th of July. 
 7 rounds for time:
1000 lbs moved from ground to overhead
700m (run or row - any combination)
46 squats
30 push ups


To put it simply, using CFCMatt's wise words "That was a great holiday WOD!" said no one ever.  LOL.  (But there isn't one of us who would have missed it for the world)
 

The cut-off time was 60 minutes.  With some minor modifications, I completed the WOD in 59:46.  Although, I most definitely busted my butt through the entire workout, I have to admit that it is because of Maryland (from Matt M.'s 5am class) that I believe I completed the WOD and with my head high.  After running 400m into ROUND 5, I strolled passed Maryland with a look on my face of what I can only imagine was total reluctance.  And with a great big voice, she yelled at me,
"Don't give up now, you've been my inspiration through all of this!"
Well... how does someone not just jump up and give it everything they've got??? Which is exactly what I did.  So... THANK YOU, Maryland.  Because of you, I finished the WOD and with pride.

We finished off the day celebrating with friends.  Good food, great fun, big laughs.  Then, later that night when pj's were on and the lights were out - we enjoyed some fireworks right in front of our home, that my husband ran out to get, at the last minute.  We can thank good ol' Texas for the convenience of that.

All in all, what a perfect way to celebrate a splendid holiday in a country that I should be calling "my own".

And with that, I'd like to leave you with a simple, yummy recipe that we called LUNCH yesterday.

4th of July BBQ  (sorry, no pics - but, take my word for it, it sure was delectable)

Grilled chicken kabobs

4 organic, grass-fed chicken breast (Check out Yonder Way Farm)
1 heaping tbsp grey poupon
Coconut aminos
Worcestershire sauce
Montreal Chicken spice
5-6 metal skewers
  1. Cut chicken breast into strips.
  2. Marinate chicken breast with above ingredients.
  3. Place 2-3 strips on metal skewers
  4. Grill on BBQ for 15 minutes (approximately 7.5 min each side - preheat your grill to HIGH, dropping heat to about 3/4 when you begin to cook)

Sweet Potato Fries

1-2 large sweet potatoes
2-3 tbsp Coconut oil
Sea salt, to taste
Baking sheet
Parchment paper
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Peel sweet potatoes.
  3. Cut potato in half & then julienne style (thin long strips)
  4. Place, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, side-by-side
  5. Cook about 18 minutes or until browned.

Vegetable kabobs

Zucchini Squash
Portabella mushrooms
Red onion
Eggplant
Bell peppers (red, yellow, orange are the sweeter of the bell peppers)
(any other delectable veggie will do, too)
Coconut oil
Balsamic vinegar
Sea salt, to taste
5-6 skewers

  1. Rinse veggies thoroughly.  Pat dry.
  2. Chop veggies to desired thickness.
  3. Place on skewer in a pattern scheme such as zucchini squash, mushroom, onion, eggplant, pepper & start again)
  4. Drizzle coconut oil and balsamic vinegar on veggies.  Add salt, to taste.
  5. Grill on BBQ for about 12-15 minutes (cook simultaneously with chicken).  When tips start to burn, place on top rack of BBQ until meat is ready to serve.

... and for DESSERT...

Dark Chocolate covered Bacon

1-2 bars, 70% or more Dark Chocolate (I like to use Ghirardelli baking chocolate)
YWF uncured bacon
baking sheet
parchment paper

  1. Broil bacon (please see Best bacon ever recipe on my recent blog post Food)
  2. Melt baking chocolate (follow directions as per chocolate bar)
  3. Cut bacon strips into 1.5-2 inch pieces. Pat dry.
  4. Dip bacon pieces (one by one) into chocolate using a spoon or fork. (Make sure bacon is room temperature)
  5. Place chocolate covered bacon onto parchment paper
  6. Place baking sheet in refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes.
  7. Put chocolate covered bacon into a dish and SERVE.

Until next year...



















1 comment: